Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Exalted Anticipation

For the father's in the netosphere, my sentiments will come as no surprise. Quite simply the wait is killing me. I thought birth day for my son was march 10 (at 10 AM to be precise), however my first born has already thought to disagree with me. Also a sentiment I'm sure to have some support for the weight is killing me.

The weight is a question. What does it take to be a good father, a good supporter for the family? I've had some great examples both the nuclear and also the less radioactive kind. However the question remains: can I be a great father?

I hope that I can; I hope my son grows up confident, loved, and courageous. I hope he becomes a man who values conviction and ethics above all else. When he chooses his path, my desire is that he loves the journey he's on.

One of the most common questions I've received lately is, "Are you ready?" How can anyone possibly answer that!? I don't know, what I don't know. What's he going to be like, what's he going to enjoy? Is he going to like seeing the zoo with his dad (Me!)? Is he going to put up with my giddiness about going to the zoo?

Is he going to play a sport? Saxophone? A lesser instrument? Please, God, not Trombone... I may not be a saint but I must have at least done enough to not curse my family with a trombone player. I know ultimate sacrifice and all but we all know trombone player aren't exactly sitting at the right hand or anything.

We've been blessed beyond belief in terms of support structure. I only hope that I can live up to the challenges that face me. That I can be patient, loving, and loved in the journey ahead.

If this is saved for perpetuity, please son, my first born, know that I love you. I cannot wait to meet you. I hope that whomever you turn out to be that I am supportive and loving. When you find doubt, I hope that you also find the support and courage to push through. I hope in times of strife that you are always able to find God's peace.

I haven't yet met you. (However, I know that you share your mothers ticklish feet.) But know that when I do, you have arrived with much anticipation. That you will be shown so much love. And that no matter the circumstances you will find support and compassion.

T minus 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i heard the sages speak thru you when you mentioned the tickling of feet. this is indeed but the greatest gift a father can give to their child. and it feels so good. i'm excited for you both...so excited. we are thinking about you lots and hope that the wait isn't too unbearable. yahoo!!!

Anonymous said...

ohh yeah, and your message made me want to get a plane ticket. like i had to put the internet down and kim had to pry my fingers from the keyboard. but it will be done. ohh yes it will be done. and we shall ride with our hair in the wind, faces aglow with gravel in our teeth. and we will ride to ride and for the sake of the ride, so help the ride.

Kristi said...

Hey Handsome - I just read this again. You should really blog more frequently (sorry to "should" on you, but I enjoy reading your posts when you write them.) You are a good writer and an even better father!