First off, I'd like everyone to be aware that I am liberally ripping the idea of doing a blog for my journey from my brother Gabe, who wrote the most excellent "Just A Short Walk" at gn-sanpo.blogspot.com. If you've not had a chance to read through it do so!
I doubt that anyone who reads this will not know that I'm attempting to do an Ironman. Either I or Kristi, my wife, seem to bring it up often. I like it most when Kristi brings it up because bragging by proxy always makes you look less of an ass. What I think people will not know, is why I want to do an Ironman and how I'm doing on the journey. I hope to keep everyone who's interested updated on my quest.
As you can probably tell from the title and web address, I'm a bit of a fan of Don Quixote. The reason is his approach to life. Don Quixote dreamed big. The whole world became an adventure for him and everything in it was both more wonderful, more terrible than it was for anyone else. I won't dive into a rehashing of my past but suffice to say I spent a great deal of time crazy. I still probably am.
This year, I turned 30. While I figure I have another 460 (or more) years to go on this planet, I realized that a lot of of the first 30 years of my life was spent talking about what I wanted to do but not by and large actually doing what I wanted to do. Even worse a lot more time was spent by secretly thinking I didn't actually ever have a chance of accomplishing my goals.
I think Quix would have thought that attitude rather lame. One doesn't get the sense that Don Quixote ever was afraid to fail despite the odds. I never got the sense that there was any fear when he rushed the windmills that he thought were giants; I have often wondered what he thought of his chances success actually were. Being tired of wondering whether I've the capacity, dedication, or mentality to succeed at something truly big, I decided to chase this dream of doing an Ironman. Let's find out if I can!
In 90 days, I will swim 2.4 miles.
I will bike 112 miles.
I will run 26.2 miles.
And I will finish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We want more posts! :) Inquiring minds want you to keep writing... how did the 1/2 IronMan go? How's the training going for the full? How many days before the full?
Love,
K
Hi Jesse, I am getting excited! I am watching that video of the bike course. I guess there is also one of the swimming route. It looks like a nice route on the bike. I look forward to hearing more about your preparations. I was so proud of you in the 1/2 Ironman. What was that like for you? You really are doing quite an amazing feat by chosing this time frame and I am wondering how you prepare for it mentally and physically. Love, Mom
Post a Comment